- 1 Video
- 1 Multimedia
The course provides a concise overview of how accountants can instantly and dramatically enhance their Google experience and customize and personalize Google for maximum performance, security and style. This is part one of a three-part series on how accountants can take their online discovery skills to the next level and search smarter, faster and more efficiently on Google.
The major topics that will be covered in this course include:
- Why Study Web Search?
- Google is Great, But Not Perfect -- The Biases, Blind Spots and Inaccuracies of Google that Every Searcher Must Know
- How to Set Up Google for Maximum Speed, Security and Style.
- Plug-Ins and Extensions that Boost Your Google Power
- The Google Search Results Page -- Major Features, Key Signals and Hidden Elements
- Google’s “Nationalities” and Translation Tools -- A World of Knowledge at Your Fingertips
Upon completion of this course you will have learned how to:
- Understand the urgency of improving your Google search skills in this age of information superabundance.
- List Google’s leading biases, blind spots, inaccuracies and costs.
- View Google search results in their proper context.
- Create a Google account that provides free access to a Google’s online suite of applications and services.
- Develop a Google profile to manage your web “footprint” and increase your online discoverability.
- Use Google privacy and security tools to protect your online data and personal information.
- Change the theme and visual appearance of your Internet browser.
- Customize the Google interface, content filters and language preferences to meet your individual needs.
- Control the ads that appear when using Google.
- Evaluate your past Google searches and online activity patterns.
- Access the Google Chrome Web store for hundreds of plugins and extensions for search, accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, analytics, sales and customer relationship management applications and more.
- Join a little-known Google program that will get you specially listed in Google search results and give you more credibility and make you more authentic to people worldwide.
- Correctly and completely interpret all the data and signals on the Google results page – an information-rich page all its own.
- Uncover dozens of quick answer features, calculators, converters and embedded information-generators in Google that are hidden from view.
- Discover the concealed Google “tool belt” search feature and use it to uncover 10x more information on any topic and “slice and dice” search results.
- Instantly translate spoken words, written text and web pages into 50+ languages.
Practitioners at all levels who want to improve their Google search skills and deepen their understanding of how to use the service to:
- gather information for accounting and business,
- inform critical decisions in their professional and personal lives, and
- discover knowledge other people don’t know and find out things earlier and faster.
Presenter Garrett Wasny, MA, CMC, CITP/FIBP is an independent Certified Management Consultant (CMC) who provides objective information and has no affiliation or vested interest in Google or any of the technologies reviewed in the course.
Garrett Wasny, MA, CMC, CITP/FIBP is a professional development consultant to accountants, lawyers, engineers, doctors and pro sports executives worldwide. He advises high-skill decision-makers how to thrive in the digital age and unleash their online potential using productivity, search, mobile and social technologies.